Monthly Archives: November 2013

Halloween Costume – MAD Scientist


This Halloween and the month leading up to it I put together a MAD Scientist costume. Most of the preparation was in the assembly of the 16×8 LED array which was free-formed to sit inside and take the shape of a brain-shaped jelly mould. It was the chance encounter with the jelly mould that sparked this costume off. The semi-transparent vacuum-formed mould looked ideal and it was a good fit for wearing on my head like a hat.
I already had some MAX7219’s so I knew that I was going to use these to drive the LED arrays and the left-over LEDs from swapping the colours on the LED Message Board were prime candidates for the array. I fool-hardedly embarked upon a bi-colour array, alternating Red and Blue without giving any thought to the different voltages required by the two types of LED. I kind of got away with it and was able to made a few animations based around the colour difference (i.e. police lights) but if I were to do it again I’d probably opt for just a single colour.

LED arrays rest in the brain jelly mould with an Arduino (Freeduino kit) driving the array.

LED arrays rest in the brain jelly mould with an Arduino (Freeduino kit) driving the array.

With the LED array nearing completion my attention turned to the asthetics of the brain. I didn’t want the LEDs to be obvious so would need to add an opaque layer and decided to paper mache some tissue paper inside the plastic. Finding white and pink tissue paper (the pink was too vibrant so the white went on first) I quite easily obtained a thin layer of coloured paper between the plastic and the LEDs. The LEDs are arranged on some single-core wire which was bent to the shape of the mould before the whole lot (including the MAX boards) was hot-glued in place.
A lab coat was bought on e-bay for less than £10 (wish I had spent a little more time on this as I went for a lab coat with striped edges instead of a plain lab coat). I took the lab coat with me to MAKLab and had a go at digital embroidery with an emblem and some text on the breast of the coat. This didn’t turn out brilliantly as we only had some cheap thread to hand but I felt it gave a weathered look. Had I not left it so late I might have given the coat a proper weathering (couple of coffee stains, dragging it around the studio and maybe a wash or two to loosen it up, add some elbow patches etc.)

M.A.D. Labs Inc - Dr E Gore

M.A.D. Labs Inc – Dr E Gore

To accessorise I found an old pair of safety goggles which had seen better days and dust mask and applied speckles of ink to both by spraying them using a sharpie pen and a makeshift air nozzle (straw cut and shaped to a 2mm hole). Blowing through the straw and placing the sharpie nib in front of the nozzle I got a few splashes and splats of colour (black with some red accents).

I took my old animatronic hand off the servo board and restrung it (the fishing lines had all snapped anyway). This was place on a carriage in the breast pocket of the lab coat and the fishing lines ran down the inside of the jacket to the lower pocket.

Gloved animatronic hand in pocket

Gloved animatronic hand in pocket

A hole in the other pocket permitted a cable to be run from the pocket up the jacket to the collar where it connected to a socket at the back of the head to supply power and signal from an Arduino in the pocket to the brain LED array.
I bought a halloween costume wig (£12) and modified it to accept the brain where the used to be a bald patch. This is held on by some hot-glue between the plastic of the mould and the fabric of the wig. I finished this off with some electrical tape (intending to match the Red/White/Blue of the lab coat but only going as far as Red and White).
The assembled costume cost me less than £30 (lab coat £10, wig £12, jelly mould £1 or so, tissue paper £2 with lots to spare, the rest was found or repurposed) and was great fun to put together and even more fun to wear.

Mad Scientist and Dalek

Circuit diagram and code available for anyone who is interested (though neither are anything special), leave me a comment and if there’s any interest I’ll post them here.

Thoughts for upgrades or alternatives:
RGB LEDs arranged beneath the jelly mould would allow for more advanced animation and expression.
Even PWM control of the brightness of individual LEDs would be good (the MAX chip allows for 16 brightness levels but they are set for the entire array not individual LEDs).
Makeup, dirty/sooty look for the face perhaps with panda eyes where the goggles provide protection.
Weather the brain jelly mould (it’s a bit too clean and shiny)
Better blend the brain-face boundary, I wanted a metal strip but ran out of time and just taped up the edge of the mould. Perhaps add some wires or bolt/screw-heads.
Replace safety goggles with something DIY, perhaps steampunk-ish.
Similarly the dust mask wasn’t ideal, replace with custom ‘respirator’ continuing the bio-hazard symbology on the lab coat.
Replace Red/White/Blue strips on lab coat with Black/Yellow 45deg stripes (don’t know if or where these would be available).
More accessories, i.e. test tubes, black rubber gauntlets (I had some disposable gloves left over from spray painting), robot pet etc.
Could be a couples costume if the other half dressed as a frankenstein/monster/lab rat.